Wednesday 16 April 2014

Fresh Spring Rolls

I've met a few new people this week and as new people often do they asked me about being a vegetarian. 'Why' is a question that I never like to get into while I'm eating. 'Don't you miss bacon' is met with the loudest, longest 'no' you ever did here. Except possibly the one when I was asked if I ever get bored. One person asked what it was that I ate anyway and I instantly thought of these.


Even the photo makes me start drooling again. These are Fresh Spring Rolls and the recipe can be found in Every Grain of Rice. I do intend to do a proper review of the book but this picture was tempting me, sat on the hard drive waiting for me to do something with it. The vegetables I couldn't slice finely enough, the pancakes were misshapen and too fat but this is one of the greatest things I've ever eaten.

I'm usually one of those people who claim that a salad is not a food that can fill you up all the way. I offer my apologies. Turns out roots, peppers and sprouts in a spicy soy-ey (that so should be a word. we'll just got for it) is filling as anything and the pancakes... they make you feel decadent and happy. And turn down that heat a little. I adore this, I want to make it for everyone I know. It would be the perfect picnic dish and I think you should go make them now. For a tiny amount of effort you'll have one of the best meals of your life. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment