Thursday 5 September 2013

I (forgot I) bought a book: Chloe's Kitchen

I bought Chloe's Kitchen at the same time as Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day. I spent so much time being excited by Vegan Sandwiches, I cooked from it constantly for two weeks that poor Chloe's kitchen just got left.

Really there were two reasons why Chloe's kitchen didn't inspire me half as much. The main reason was the paper. It's super glossy and there are pictures everywhere but on my first read through I missed some recipes because the pages were sticking together. I tried to find the garlic knots recipe and it took me forever to get that page open.

The second reason is that it just feels like I have a lot of these recipes elsewhere. I tried and loved the Garlic Knots and the BBQ pizza (without pineapple) but I used my go to dough and BBQ sauce rather than take the risk with a new recipe.

I include that last paragraph not to dissuade you from buying the book. There is plenty of cool original stuff that makes worth buying. I just wanted to say that if this was my first vegan cook book, or in my first ten I would have shouted 'five stars' at the top of my voice. As it is I'm shouting 'three star, four if you get rid of that bloody awful paper'


Bunny Eared Meat Balls


So I though I'd try something completely new to me to judge the book fairly. Then I though screw that I want meat balls. So I made the Sweet-and-Sour Party Meat Balls. The balls are thempeh based (with a soy free option) and coated in Sweet-and-Sour sauce for extra noms. It takes no time at all to whip these up and there are make ahead tips if you actually do things like have guests around instead of swallowing a whole batch yourself. I was a bit annoyed that there was no indication of how long the balls would take to cook or how to tell when they are done but I could make an educated guess so hay ho.

They where fabulous and now I'm wondering what else I've missed. So please, please, leave you Chloe's Kitchen recommendation in the comments.


Chloe's Kitchen: 125 Easy, Delicious Recipes for Making the Food You Love the Vegan Way


1 comment:

  1. I did this book for the PPK cookbook challenge a while ago. Here's my verdict! http://cookingtheveganbooks.com/2013/05/11/ppk-cookbook-challenge-chloes-kitchen/

    ReplyDelete