Tuesday 19 March 2013

Adventures In Supermarkets

When I'm in other parts of the country I like to go to the supermarkets there and poke around at the different products. No really. I find this fun.

So I slipped off last time I was staying with my parents to pop to Morrisons. The one in Heywood if you're playing along at home. I picked up the bits I needed (toothpaste, why do I always have to forget toothpaste) and headed to my favourite aisles. It goes like this:
  1. Fruit and veg
  2. Bakery (stock up on muffins)
  3. International foods section
Ahh the international food section. Where you can find Polish biscuits hobnobbing (ahem.) with giant bags of gram flour bases purely on the idea that they aren't traditional British. Depending on the area you can find some real treasures here. 
Happiness is imported 

This entry is dedicated to Jelly. Oh Jelly. I love you. Of course Jelly is made from animal bits and I don't eat those. There are vegetarian Jellies in existence, some you can find in health food stores and some you can find in supermarkets, but it's still exciting to find a new one. Especially if it's mango flavoured. 

So I saw the mango flavoured loveliness and as it had Halal slapped across the box I checked the ingredients: 
Refined Sugar, Vegetable Gum, Adipic Acid, Potassium Citrate, Potassium Chloride, Mango flavour, E102 and E110
Awesome cool. I can eat that.
Attack Of The Boringly Shaped Gelatinous Blob
Yesterday I made up a batch and then pored it into... where did all my glass go... in to a ramekin. Stephen had thrown out the pretty glass because we never use it. The fact that he did this around a year ago and I didn't notice is hardly justification. Anyway I pored it into a ramekin. Making the most boring looking jelly in history. I'll have to buy moulds if I'm going to make a habit of this. And I might. Jelly is delicious and this one tastes like mango.

No comments:

Post a Comment