Thursday 11 November 2010

Funny Thursdays: I Ate Veggie Bacon... And Lived

Oh lord. I wasn't excited by this mock meat trial. Bacon butties are an institution in the UK and probably my number one comment on telling people I'm veg is that they don't know how I can manage without them in the morning. The answer to that is simple: clearly you've never had my Mum's cooking.

But I know people who love pigs more than a sandwich but still want that fatty, salty treat. And they swear by this stuff. Who am I to argue. I guess. So in the spirit of trying new
things for Mofo I went out and bought the veggie bacon. God bless Redwoods! My choice was between the Streaky Style Rashers and the Organic Rashers. I went for the Organic Rashers not just for the ethical implications but also because fake rind on fake bacon is just a step too far for me.
In the packet they looked a bit like flattened play dough. but I kept my faith - what lit
tle of it I had - and chucked it into the frying pan. They cooked quickly if a little strangely and I shoved mine between two slices of home made bread with a dollop of HP sauce.

And then I ate it. And lived. It wasn't bad actually, the texture and the way it broke apart was spot on. The taste obviously wasn't exactly bacon more like bacon crisps. It filled a gap. And while I wouldn't go out of my way to eat these often if someone offered me one I wouldn't turn it down. All in all: not bad.

We'll be trying another mock meat for next week's funny Thursday.


1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the world of fake bacon.

    Both Redwoods varieties taste the same - like, as you described, bacon flavour crisps. I wouldn't be at all surprised if this is cause they use the same flavouring in them!

    Best way I've found to eat it is to have on freshly cooked ciabatta, with sliced avacado.

    ReplyDelete