Tuesday 27 July 2010

Sweet Paprika Kohlrabi and Carrot Chips

My paprika was a gift. A woman in my Dad's office was going to India and was press ganged into service for the daughter. She brought back a small bag of the deepest orang red and the sweetest woody scent I have ever experienced. And each time I use it I marvel at the power of friendship and community and say a little thank you.



Making spiced baked 'chips' to go along side my veggie burger is my favourite semi home made treat on a draining but not quite spoonless day. Any vegetable can be roasted; my favourites are potatoes, carrots, beetroot and (now) kohlrabi. It's just a matter of timing.

Recipe after the jump.


Potatoes take longer, about 35 minutes, as do larger, stored carrots. Freshly pulled carrots take up to 30 minutes as do larger, stored beetroot. small and fresh beetroots take 15-20. Cut everything to the sameish size and shape put potatoes and carrots in first, beetroot in last and you're good.

The roasting brings out the sweetness complimented here with the paprika and pomegranate. The chilli and cumin round out the taste and add a little heat. Please don't miss out the salt. I like to minimise it in most recipes and I honestly think it's needed here.

Ingredients
(serves 1-2 on the side, add more veg as needed)

Half a Kohlrabi or so, cut into batons
4 small carrots, cut as battony as possible.
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 teaspoon of Paprika
1/4 teaspoon of chilli (or to taste!)
1/4 teaspoon of cumin
1/4 teaspoon of pomegranate powder
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 200 ÂșC
  2. Mix the spices and the olive oil in a baking tray or oven proof dish.
  3. Toss the vegetables in the spicy oil mix.
  4. Shove everything in the oven for half an hour, flipping the veg over after 15 minutes.
  5. Eat and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment